I am a writer, blogger, teacher and scholar interested in topics of adoption, foster care, child welfare, orphans and vulnerable children, race, disabilities, gender, and all the intersectionalities of the above. My dream class to teach would be to use film and popular media to analyze themes around foster care, adoption and child welfare. I would name this class “Beyond Juno.”
I was born in South Korea and adopted to the United States in 1971. I currently work at the University of Washington Tacoma in the Social Work and Criminal Justice program. My current research projects focus on the experiences of intercountry adoptees that have experienced adoption disruption or displacement and the cultural, racial and adoption socialization practices of Korean adoptee parents.
My publications include chapters in A Good Time for the Truth: Race in Minnesota by Minnesota Historical Press, The Routledge Handbook for Global Child Welfare, Transracial and Intercountry Adoptions by Columbia University Press, Outsiders Within: Writing on Transracial Adoption by South End Press and Religion and Spirituality in Korean America by University of Illinois Press. In addition, my essays, articles and poetry have been published in KoreAm Journal, Korean Quarterly, and Minnesota Monthly among others.
My publications are available here.
Selected media interviews:
- Transracial Adoption Support Systems Scarce Despite Difficulties. NBC Asian America, March 15, 2016.
- International Adoptees Create A New Sense Of Community Together. National Public Radio, May 10, 2015.
- Interview with KSTP on adoption delays in Minnesota, April 18, 2015
- How adoption has forced evangelicals to grapple with race relations. Religious News Service, December 22, 2014.
- Re-homing: Parents go online to find new homes for kids. Fox 9 Minnesota, September 12, 2013
- Feature on the University of Minnesota’s College of Human Development and Education website, July, 2013
- Interview with Phil Picardi about contested adoption case, Minnesota Public Radio, March 30, 2013
- Riley’s in Uganda blog: Guest Blog Post – An Interview with JaeRan Kim – An Internationally Adopted Adult, January 3, 2013
- “Talk with me about…everything”: Blog podcast for Land of Gazillion Adoptees, July 20, 2012
- Roundtable: The adoptee experience, Minnesota Public Radio, July 13, 2012
- Research, Experts Say Racial Identity Important After Adoption, Scripps Howard Foundation Wire, December 13, 2011
- The Myth of the Forever Family – Brain, Child Magazine, Summer 2010
- De-emphasis on Race in Adoption Is Criticized: New York Times March 27, 2008
- Addicted to Race 73: Celebrity Adoptions
- Addicted To Race 41: Transracial adoption roundtable
- Addicted To Race Premium 4 – Adoption
- Asia Pacific Forum – March 20, 2007 Show
- Video of a reading of “Scattered Seeds” at the Outsiders Within book launch, November 18, 2006