Over the past 15 years, I’ve presented sessions at a number of conferences, conducted workshops and written for several online or print platforms that no longer exist. As a professor, one of my great privileges is access to many academic journals that are expensive and inaccessible to anyone who does not have a university or college library access.
One of my frustrations is when adoptees are the subject of studies but don’t get to know what’s been written up about them. On this page, I will provide drafts of keynote speeches, articles that no longer are available due to the dissolution of the original journal or publisher, and copies of some of the presentations of my research that I’ve conducted.
For an overview of some of my peer review publications and book chapters, you can click on this link.
PDF of PowerPoint presentation for UWSSW, AAAW and TAG. Recommended citation: Kim, J.R. (2018). Ambiguous loss and adoption [PowerPoint Slides]. Retrieved from https://harlows-monkey.com/my-publications/
Keynote presentation for Pact Camp. PDF of PowerPoint with accompanying notes. Recommended citation: Kim, J.R. (2015). Adoptee activism [PowerPoint Slides]. Retrieved at https://harlows-monkey.com/my-publications/
Written for Gazillion Voices. Recommended citation: Kim, J.R. (2014). The adoptee poster child. Gazillion Voices, 1(7). Retrieved from https://harlows-monkey.com/my-publications/.
Written for Gazillion Voices. Recommended citation: Kim, J.R. (2013). Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain: Learning how to be a critical consumer of adoption research. Gazillion Voices, 1(4). Retrieved from https://harlows-monkey.com/my-publications/.
Indian Child Welfare Education Day presentation at the William Mitchell College of Law. PDF of PowerPoint presentation with accompanying notes. Recommended citation: Kim, J.R. (2013). How we got here: Understanding the historical roots of adoption in the United States [PowerPoint Slides]. Retrieved at https://harlows-monkey.com/my-publications/.
Keynote presentation for Pact Camp, 2011. Recommended citation: Kim, J.R. (2011). The lifelong journey of the adoptee. Keynote. Pact Family Camp. Tahoe City, CA. July 19, 2011.
Selected media interviews:
- Transracial Adoption Support Systems Scarce Despite Difficulties. NBC Asian America, March 15, 2016.
- International Adoptees Create A New Sense Of Community Together. National Public Radio, May 10, 2015.
- Interview with KSTP on adoption delays in Minnesota, April 18, 2015
- How adoption has forced evangelicals to grapple with race relations. Religious News Service, December 22, 2014.
- Re-homing: Parents go online to find new homes for kids. Fox 9 Minnesota, September 12, 2013
- Feature on the University of Minnesota’s College of Human Development and Education website, July, 2013
- Interview with Phil Picardi about contested adoption case, Minnesota Public Radio, March 30, 2013
- Riley’s in Uganda blog: Guest Blog Post – An Interview with JaeRan Kim – An Internationally Adopted Adult, January 3, 2013
- “Talk with me about…everything”: Blog podcast for Land of Gazillion Adoptees, July 20, 2012
- Roundtable: The adoptee experience, Minnesota Public Radio, July 13, 2012
- Research, Experts Say Racial Identity Important After Adoption, Scripps Howard Foundation Wire, December 13, 2011
- The Myth of the Forever Family – Brain, Child Magazine, Summer 2010
- De-emphasis on Race in Adoption Is Criticized: New York Times March 27, 2008
- Addicted to Race 73: Celebrity Adoptions
- Addicted To Race 41: Transracial adoption roundtable
- Addicted To Race Premium 4 – Adoption
- Asia Pacific Forum – March 20, 2007 Show
- Video of a reading of “Scattered Seeds” at the Outsiders Within book launch, November 18, 2006